Monday, September 17, 2012

If you can do laundry, You can make yummy healthy bread!

If you can do laundry, you can make bread.


People are always surprised when they find out I bake our sandwich bread each week. I started doing so a little over a year ago and have gone through several recipes and techniques(one rise and two rise) but now I have it down to a very simple system. I even have the recipe memorized.  I like to make bread while I am doing laundry  because the dryer is one of my time saving tricks.I usually make it on Friday  so we have it for sandwiches on the weekend and the first of next week. I make it again on Tuesday if I need to. The whole process only takes a little over an hour.

All you need is:
  1. 2 1/4 warm water (microwave about 1 minute needs to be around 115 degrees)
  2. 5 cups Whole Wheat Flour (you can use white wheat too) (I am sure you could use other flours too)
  3. 1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil ( I really like the way the coconut oil taste better)
  4. 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (I like the maple best and plus it makes it stay vegan)
  5. 2 packages rapid rise yeast
  6. 1 teaspoon salt (I usually use 2, I like salt.)
First, oil bread pan so that it will be ready.(I lightly grease my pan with coconut oil. again you can you olive oil) Combine all ingredients in mixer mixing bowl with half the flour.  Mix using paddle attachment or dough hook for until all is combined. Use spatula to scrap sides. Turn mixer on low and gradually add the rest of the flour about 1/2 cup at time.(if it looka a little soupy add more flour) Mix until all flour has all been added. Scrap sides again to make sure it is mixed well. Let the mixer run for about one minute.

 I then dump the bread dough into my pan. I smooth the loaf so it will cook evenly.(I use a large silicone bread pan, you could use 2 smaller loaf pans, too.)
  I place my pan on a cookie sheet and place it on the top of the running dryer. I then cover my pan. You can also just place it in a warm place in your house. Let your bread rise for about 30 minutes
 I place my pan on a cookie sheet and place it on the top of the running dryer. I then cover my pan. You can also just place it in a warm place in your house. Let your bread rise for about 30 minutes. It should have double in size.
Then place on the bottom rack of your oven, set to 350 degrees. Let bake for 30-35 minutes but make sure to  test to the middle to make sure it is done. I use a metal kabob skewer to test things when i am baking. You could also use a small knife.  It also sounds hallow when you thump it when it is done.

  Then just try to let it cool before cutting. It never does at my house. 

I started with a recipe that from gold medal flour's website and went from there!

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to my husband about making our own bread! Since I am now at home I have more time (yeah, right more time) to do stuff like this. I love baking and making granola and all so why not start baking bread!!!!

    Thanks for the dryer tip :)

    ReplyDelete