Monday, October 1, 2012

Easiest Plant Happy Meal Ever!! Black Bean Salsa with Brown Rice.

Today being meat-free Monday and the start of my participation in Vegan MOFO  blog campaign to expose others to animal product free living. I thought I would share with you a hearty and very, very easy animal product free meal. Jeremy loves this meal! Only 3 required ingredients. It really is too easy not to try it out.

Black Bean Salsa with Brown Rice 
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup salsa (based on you preferance mild, medium, or hot)
4 cups cooked brown rice (or any other whole grain, no white stuff)
serves 2-4 depending on appetite


Directions: Pour black beans and salsa in pan. I use my cast iron saute pan but any pan will do fine. Cook over medium heat until becomes thick. Serve over cooked rice.

**If you want to get fancy saute a few mushrooms and some bell pepper before adding beans and salsa.  If you want a little more spice add a can of green chiles and some chili powder. You can also use hot salsa

You can serve this with any whole grain. We have even had it over whole wheat pasta before. It is Yummy, very filling  and so quick. oh and it is cheap too.  A double recipe will cost you less than 5.00 bucks and yes I do recommend making double!!

Rice Reminder: Remember to cook your rice like you would boil pasta in lots of water then drain when tender. This will help reduce your chances of arsenic exposure.

I also want to add living a life with minimal animal products is not hard for me and I do not consider it a sacrifice. It makes me very happy and healthy. Eating animal free even for one meal makes an impact on our environment and reduces your carbon foot print.  Small changes can help your health, the environment, and our children's future. Try to be plant happy today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment