Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Black-eyed Pea Gumbo

Black-eyed Pea Gumbo

This is my vegetarian/vegan version of a recipe that I loved growing up Maggie's chicken and sausage gumbo. This is my take on recipe eliminating all meat products. Maggie's gumbo was different from a tradition creole gumbo there is no roux to worry with or burn. It is quite easy and every bit as good in my opinion. It will fill your the whole house with an amazing smell. A smell that takes me back to my childhood and makes me incredibly happy. Figuring out a way in which, I could prepare and serve Maggie's recipe to my family has been very therapeutic and  has helped me deal with life without her in a healthy and productive manner. I even think Maggie would like this one(not so sure what she would say about some of my other ingredient substitution). This recipe also freezes very well. I keep individual servings in my freezer ready to pull out on days when I need good meal that gives me a pick me up and that happy feeling of home.

Ingredients:
1 onion
1 bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
4 stalks celery(about 1 cup)
4 bay leaves
1 28 oz diced tomatoes
1 cup okra- frozen or fresh
3 cups water
Salt and pepper
Black eyed peas- dry peas- 2 cups, fresh/frozen -4 cups, or canned peas -2 cans rinsed and drained
***if using dry see note at bottom
1 large pot

Step One: Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery. Trying to keep keep the pieces the same size. I chop my pieces fairly small but not fine. Also, use the celery leaves. They have a lot of great flavor. Step two: Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in pot and cook until tender. After a few minutes add the bay leaves and season with some salt and pepper. This step takes about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Step three:  Add the remaining ingredients and cook until peas ans okra are tender or desired consistency for your liking. Depending on your preference this step will take 45 minutes or more. TAdd salt and pepper if needed.
Step Four: Serve with brown rice.
*****If using dry beans: Rinse the beans very well and look for any thing that may be in with them from the factory. Cook in a large pot covered with water until tender. You will also want to season the water with a few bay leaves, salt, and pepper. This will greatly enhance the flavor of your gumbo. Drain beans when done and discard the water. Also, you only start with 2 cups dry because the will almost double when cooked.

Left overs ready for the freezer



No comments:

Post a Comment