Thursday, October 18, 2012

He's addicted to Chili! Green chilies and lentils

My husband loves chili. Even during the summer he wants to eat chili. I think he would eat it 3 times a week if I would cook it for him. So, I do cook it at least once a week , from October to March ,and I will be posting those recipes, as I make them.  I generally make chili different almost every time trying to use the ingredients that we have on hand and the produce that is on sale. Being a veggie family we always have a selection of beans and fresh vegetables in the house. My husband especially liked the version I cooked this past weekend so, here it is. This one is protein packed and I bet even the biggest carnivore would be happy with how filling and hearty it is. It is even better as left overs the next day. If you have never cooked with lentils this a great place to start. They are a nutrition powerhouse and cheap! This is also a quick chili, taking less than an hour from start to finish and only about 10 minutes hands on time.



Ingredients:
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup dry lentils
1 can cannelloni beans-(white kidney beans) you could substitute regular red kidney if needed
1 can black beans
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 little can green chilies
3 cups water

Chili seasoning:
1 tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt to your liking -I used 1 tablespoon( but salt is my vice)

Chop onion and garlic. Remember the smaller you cut the faster it cooks. Drain and rinse your beans, including the dry lentils. Saute onion and garlic until onion is tender. I do not use oil to saute but I add a little water to keep the onions from sticking to pot. After onion is tender add the remainder of ingredients including the seasoning and let cook over medium heat until the lentils are tender about 30-45 minutes. That is it. So easy and so good.

**I serve it with quinoa and diced avocado but it really doesn't need either. It does enhance the yumminess!

No comments:

Post a Comment