Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nature Inspired Fall Wreath (no cost, nothing new)

This is one of those projects that just came about from things that where right in front of me and a little time. I broke the glass in an old 11x14 used frame I had that needed to be painted. I knew I wanted to try and use it to make a fall wreath for our front door. I painted the frame green using left over paint and it just sat in my work area for about two weeks. I found a  piece of blue remnant upholstery fabric that I had and decided it would look nice in the back of the frame. I really like the way the colors looked together, but that was all I had at that point, and I was stuck on my fall wreath again.
Then over next week the weather started changing more, so my children and I started spending more time outside in the afternoon. The letters came about while I was trying to occupy myself while they played in the dirt.(that is where I draw the line playing with them, lol, and if I sat still in the lawn chair I may have gone to sleep.) A storm had come through and there were sticks everywhere. I started just trying to make shapes,  I saw a heart made out of sticks on Pinterest that looked pretty cute, but I soon gave up, got some thin wire, and made these letters. I was surprised how much I actually liked them. I used left over off white paint from my paint stash to paint them.
The next day while outside, we started picking up the sweet gum balls that were falling everywhere playing with them (throwing them, counting them, etc.). I thought they might add some interesting texture to the wreath. I originally was thinking of using them around  the sides of the frame, but as you can see that changed when I painted them orange. I had orange paint and wanted to add that color to keep it fall looking, plus it is a complementary color for the blue.They started sticking together after they were painted. I got the idea to make pumpkins when several had stuck in an oval shape. Then, I just pushed them together to make the shape bigger and added hot glue in the cracks on the wrong side and added a 3 stick stem. They fit together a lot like brillo blocks do. If you know what that is. Lastly, I glued the letters and pumpkins on the frame using a strong adhesive. The frame already had a wire hanger on the back to hang it on the front door.
 
This is how we painted the gum balls. We rolled them in the paint until desired coverage. My daughter enjoyed helping with this.
Here are the supplies all together. At this point the pumpkin idea had not come about.
Trying to figure out the letter layout. We have two last names in our family  so the letter layout took me a little while until I was happy with it. 
Pumpkin up close.





The finished wreath on our front door. Not too bad for a found oboect project. Who say's nothings free.

No comments:

Post a Comment